Thursday 19 June 2014

Nigerian Education versus Education Abroad

Hello Readers, I hope everyone is having a great day.
Now i'm ready to share my thoughts on the educational system in Nigeria and also on the educational system abroad (focusing on schools in the UK). This is not going to be a boring post i promise ( i still wonder who invented education. *eyes rolling*, waka pass).
People don't get me wrong, but going to school in Nigeria is really tough (in my opinion its a nightmare come true) and fun at the same time (if you choose the activity life). I learnt alot in my days in UNI (i was a lazy student though). All those unnessecary handouts and lecturer's textbook one had to buy in those days (its not like we read them ohhhh), we starked our houses with items that were not usually relevant to the particular course or topic of study. Oh how can i forget all those threats of "if you don't read my textbook for exam you will fail" (no comment).
Did i forget to add that the library system is almost non-existent.
Then waiting a whole year before you saw your result (on countless occassion results were usually released a day to the exam of that course in another session). Imagine you had a resit and hadn't read and the result came out a day before the resit ( gi na chi).
The education system in Nigeria really needs a miracle (can't bring myself to say it has failed cos i went through the same system and still survived somehow).
Now schooling abroad is almost hassle free. When i first started school in England i was baffled by the way moodle worked and the email system of contacting your lecturers directly (in my country to speak or lay a complaint to a lecturer is like winning the lottery). Then came the first course when i heard about plagarism (Nigerians are so used to copy and paste no editing attitude), confusion set it. I ran from pillar to post trying to figure it out. 
The library is amazing (i even read in it a few times as i generally hate reading), finding books is so easy. The system just works. We even develop skills from here ( Presentations helped me improve my speech pattern). You find your weak spots and improve on it (i fought my stage phobia).
Coming abroad to school has given a different perspective about education (not like i will ever enrol to do a Phd sha).Honestly, its interesting how the system works elsewhere.

Given the different scenarios i don't know if its safe to say that the lecturers in Nigeria need to put in more effort (make suggestions on how to make learning easier for students). They make many claims of how they are underpaid for doing nothing in actual fact (my opinion).
Government claims to spend alot on education. What exactly do they spend on? The buildings or the Vice-Chancellors! (i'm really struggling here to find out what exactly they spend the budget on)
This nonchalant attitude towards everything in Nigeria has to stop. I sincerely think its the only way we can go forward.

I may be completely wrong about everything i've written but its my opinion and i take responsibility for it.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Enjoy the rest of the people and hope you had a good read.



No comments:

Post a Comment